Confusing SIC Codes in constants,yml

I have imported the data in constants.yml into an Oracle table using an Oracle utility. This has been working fine but I’ve recently had an error caused by the code I was using bringing back 2 records when it expected only 1.

I’m going to have to code around this and make sure that the I import the code as character rather than number data, which it must have defaulted to (in a similar way to Excel).
The reason I’m mentioning it here is that it seems strange to have two codes differing only by one leading zero character. I’ve no doubt that this is only one example.

Also as others have asked in other posts, is there any way we can be notified when the data in constants.yml is changed, so that we can update our applications?

Thanks,
Chris

The current SIC codes are all 5 characters. We do not accept the old 4 character ones anymore, but there are still companies that have these older 4 character codes.
As for constants.yml changing, you could ‘watch’ it on github.
In the future there will be an API call that you will use to get the data back, so it will always be the latest.
Hope this helps.