Inaccurate name histories with example

I have noticed a generic problem with the accuracy of the previous names of companies. It appears that for older companies, CH Beta takes the earliest name it knows of, and extends that back to the incorporation date even if the company might have changed its name before. Here is an example, for HSBC HOLDINGS PLC (00617987):

The previous company names state that this company was known as “VERNAT EASTERN AGENCIES LIMITED” from its incorporation on 1-Jan-1959 until 31-Dec-1981 when it changed its name to “SILOM LIMITED”.

In reality, the certificates on file show that it was incorporated as “VERNAT TRADING CO. LIMITED” and changed its name on 10-Feb-1959 to VERNAT EASTERN AGENCIES LIMITED" and then on 13-Aug-1981 to “SILOM LIMITED”. So the history in CH Beta misses the first name and extends the second name backwards.

It also seems to not know the exact date of change in 1981 so it shows the year-end date of 31-Dec-1981. I.e., the internal database might just say “1981” so it knows that by the end of that year, the name had changed.

I upload the certifcates as proof: