Names with double spaces

I have noticed that the API returns some company names with double spaces " " in their names. This causes problems with alphabetic sorting, for example, “Alpha Zoo” appears before “Alpha Aardvark” because the extra space ranks ahead of the letter “A”.
Were they registered that way, or is this a rendering error? I searched our data collected from the API and found 25,825 companies whose names contain at least one double-space. I suggest that you do a global search and replace double-space with single-space, then repeat until all double spaces are replaced with a single-space, and then revise the interface for company creation so that it doesn’t permit double (or multiple) spaces.
Allowing double spaces would also risk companies with apparently identical names, but different by one space, being allowed. That would be a recipe for passing-off and fraud, because nobody counts spaces when writing or reading cheques or bank instructions.

An example may help:

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about this issue.
I will pass this onto the appropriate team to investigate.
Spaces are ignored when comparing names for ‘same as’ or ‘similar to’ on our internal systems, so double spaces are not an issue in that area.

Was this issue ever resolved. I am experiencing the same problems of some company names returned by the API containing double whitespace. This causes us some problems too.

I found an API issue in search with double spaces appearing - I imagine it’s not related since it seems @dmw found his ones via the data dump, but for completeness: