Unable to access API - connections timing out

For some reason, I’m unable to access the API from a specific IP address. It seems to started when I migrated the app to a different server. Everything still works fine from the original server (and, indeed, from anywhere else I try it), so it isn’t an issue with my credentials - the key works fine, and returns data as expected when run from anywhere other than where I’m currently trying to run it!

On the new server, though, it simply times out. It doesn’t even give any kind of error message - it simply fails to connect at all.

I’m wondering, therefore, if there is maybe some firewall level blocking going on. I can’t see any reason why my server would have been blocked for abusive behaviour (I’m careful to observe rate limits, and, as I said, the key still works fine from a different location), but it’s possible that it may be collateral in blocking someone else. Or, maybe I’ve been unlucky and been assigned an IP address by my host that had previously been blocked for abusive behaviour!

Is there anyone on the network team who could investigate this? I’d be happy to take this off-forum, but for that I’d need some contact details.

Whats the source IP address please?

Steve

The address that is failing is 212.110.173.181

I can confirm that this IP address is on our blacklist. This will have been added due to high or unusual traffic detected by our systems.

Can you let me know when it was added to the blacklist?

As I said before, the API key still works fine from the previous host, where it had been running without any problems for some time, and the scripts which call the API are, or at least should be, configured to obey the rate limit. The problem only arose when I moved the scripts to a new server. So something has clearly gone wrong somewhere, and knowing when the IP was blocked will help debug that.

I can’t give an exact date but I would say it was toward the tail end of 2017.

Hope that helps,

Steve