Nationalities for Dominica v Dominican Republic

There is ambiguity in the list of nationalities.

1. The Commonwealth of Dominica, known as Dominica, is an island republic in the West Indies. The nationality (demonym) is Dominiquais, according to Wikipedia.

2. The Dominican Republic is a republic in the Greater Antilles which shares the island of Hispaniola with Haiti. The nationality (demonym) is Dominican, according to Wikipedia.

UKCH has two nationalities in its official list:

1. Dominican
  2. Citizen of the Dominican Republic

I suggest, to avoid errors on company formation and appointment of officers, that you change “Dominican” to “Citizen of Dominica”. The population of Dominica is about 74,000, while the population of the Dominican Republic is about 10.3 million, so there should be about 139 times as many directors from the Dominican Republic as from Dominica - but I will bet that many directors from the Dominican Republic have chosen “Dominican” as their nationality, since that is what they call themselves at home.

Hi,

Thanks for getting in touch. Creating the list for nationalities was a difficult task, but one which has been done taking several factors into consideration. In the specific examples you have provided, we are actually matching what the FCO list states, and to try to maintain consistency where possible, we have used these nationalities.

The FCO list can be viewed here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/714338/country-names.csv/preview

Thanks - perhaps FCO should rethink this too!
Meanwhile, another suggestion: the use of the term “Nationalities” risks diplomatic friction when it comes to those such as Taiwanese (Taiwan is not recognised as a country by the UK), Hong Konger (Hong Kong being a Special Administrative Region of China), Macanese (Macau, ditto). While it is true that these places all issue passports, they are not nations.
I note also that you have a number of other places that are not nations on the list, such as British Dependent Territories (BVI, Gibraltar, Pitcairn Island etc).
Perhaps reword “nationality” to “Place of citizenship”. Or perhaps there is some definition of “nationality” in the Companies Act or other law which creates the requirement to collect this item of data?