Similar values for company status

In the API documentation I found this:

Is anyone able to clarify what are CLOSED and OPEN referring to? Which is the difference between Active/Open and Dissolved/Closed and why do we have two similar values?

I believe these apply to different types of entity. Welcome to the entity type zoo - there are many kinds! I am still learning some of these…

So “active” vs. “dissolved” relate to e.g. private companies / private limited companies / public limited companies. (That covers a lot of the entries at Companies House - however there are a lot more types.)

“open” and “closed” are analogous but are used for the status of UK establishments (of overseas companies)
For example, see the status of this UK establishment: FERRARI FINANCIAL SERVICES GMBH - Overview (free company information from Companies House)
Compare with the status of the parent company:
FERRARI FINANCIAL SERVICES GMBH - Overview (free company information from Companies House)

I believe “converted” relates to changing the type of entity - or “re-registration”. Unfortunately I don’t have an example to hand but I believe certain changes would result in a new “company number” - in which case I think the original entry would then get the “converted-closed” status?

There are lots of possible conversions. Again I don’t have a list of what happens in each case. The following links may be useful - mostly for context. They don’t deal directly with what values you will find in the API though.

Closure

Converted

Striking off, dissolution and restoration: Company strike off, dissolution and restoration - GOV.UK