API to retrieve companies data on Excel

Hello,

I am trying to create an API on Excel to retrieve some companies data from Companies House.
But the issues is that I am a bit confused in terms of the steps required to do so.

Does anyone here can help me with what I would need to do for this?

Thanks a lot for your help with this.

Kind regards,
Steve

Hello @steve.thouseau

You don’t mention, in your post, if you have gone through the API key registration process - that would be, in my view, the first requirement - this link is from the streaming api - however, it does broadly cover both api & streaming api and gives you an overview of the requirement;
Streaming API: (company-information.service.gov.uk)

This post may also help you with initial steps;

API for Excel - Wrong Credentials?

The post from @voracityemail is the part I recommend – initial steps to prove your credentials work by using cURL.

I can’t really help you with a direct connection for excel, but with cURL you can output the data capture to a text file - then with Excel, if your version of Excel is 2016 or above, pass it through an Excel Data Query to parse the JSON into columns – then you should be able to use the data.

Hope it helps – regards.

Hi @mh.hunt,

Thanks a lot for your reply.
I’ve gone through the API registration process and requested the creation of a Test API.
It is in the development process now, I do not know how long it is going to take to be ready.
In the meantime, will have a closer look at the links you sent me.

Thanks again for your help.

Steve

I think you need to choose “live” not test - not sure if this is still the case but previously people have reported issues using the test ones (I don’t know if that is because they were not using them correctly though…)

I don’t know of any particular reason for using test anyway - at least for the REST API where you just retrieve data and don’t change anything. I think some data points are stable enough (100 + years…) that you can rely on them in your own tests.