API Usage billing details

Hi everyone

I came across the REST API option while trying to “subscribe” for an XML based product with a £4.70 monthly subscription, the structure of which is very similar to the REST API’s structure.

Going by some of the questions posed by other users in this forum, we have similar use cases that might necessitate taking the “bulk download” option to help speed up certain projects we have in mind.

• Would it be possible to explain the differences between these two ways of accessing companies house data please? (REST / XML-Gateway) and whether any charges are in place for the use of the REST API?

• Where could we find out more information about the “bulk download” option?

All the best.

You can find more details of the REST API (free to access) here: Companies House Public Data API: Specification summary

I’ve done a write-up on the bulk files available and what’s contained in them, which you can view here: Bulk Data products from Companies House | CH Guide
The general gov.uk page on companies house data products can be found here: Companies House data products - GOV.UK

If you’re integrating with companies house I would suggest not using the XML service unless you require filing forms to their gateway. If you’re just accessing public data then a combination of bulk files, rest api and streaming api should serve your purpose.

1 Like

Thanks @ebrian101 . The API is fine but bulk data access (beyond the free products which we have already made use of) would make things easier.

Unless I am going about it in a totally roundabout or even wrong way, the information about the API is pretty hidden away.

Make more noise about it, it’s a great product
(@MArkWilliams (?))