Percentages of Company Sizes in Companies House

Does anyone know if there has been statistical analysis conducted into the sizes of companies within Companies House? For instance what percentage of companies that file are considered small or micro etc. I realise a calculation is required to figure out the size of each company so it might be quite involved to do this at scale.

I’m not aware of anything but you should be able to get this information quite easily from the Company data product downloads - Companies House. You could download the latest month’s files (7 zips), open each one in excel and filter each one on ‘AccountCategory’ - this would give you each company ‘size’ (micro, small, full etc.). This way you could also filter out non UK (or English, Scottish, Welsh and NI) companies (CountryOfOrigin), take out ‘dormant’ (AccountCategory) and liquidated (CompanyStatus) and aggregate the results from each of the 7 sheets. This way might be a tad laborious but would get you there (personally I’d download the zips and then read them in with pandas using python and run some analytics on the dataframes using Numpy - saves getting ratty with the big spreadsheets :). Have fun!

1 Like

My latest counts:

ACCOUNTS TYPE NOT AVAILABLE   3835
AUDIT EXEMPTION SUBSIDIARY      23091
AUDITED ABRIDGED                          1533
DORMANT                                           659275
FILING EXEMPTION SUBSIDIARY     337
FULL                                                    94257
GROUP                                               26222
INITIAL                                                7
MEDIUM                                             758
MICRO ENTITY                                  1688499
NO ACCOUNTS FILED                      1536617
PARTIAL EXEMPTION                        37
SMALL                                                 71529
TOTAL EXEMPTION FULL                  1275424
TOTAL EXEMPTION SMALL               11754
UNAUDITED ABRIDGED                     169056

Hope this is useful.

2 Likes

…but apologies for the formatting :slight_smile:

Thanks so much @alan_douglass and @barrypratt1, super helpful!