Using Company House API for multi-tenant application

Hello,
I want to ask about the usage of the Company House API keys in the context of multi-tenant application. Application is designed to serve multiple clients, each requiring access to the Companies House Public Data API. I want to ensure that we are adhering to your guidelines and also don’t exceed 600req/5min rate limit easily. Straight-forward approach will be to create API Key per tenant environment. This will result in need of creating a dozen API keys. Is this ok with your policy or you have a cap on a maximum API Key number per account?

One thing to be aware of is that there is also an unpublished IP based rate limit as well, which this kind of solution could fall foul of if multiple people in a single location were using your application at the same time. Depending on the number of users and how they use the API you would likely still need some form of centralised rate limiting or queing etc. The alternative would be individual accounts.

I know multiple keys are allowed and I don’t think there is a set limit, but using them in this way you run the risk of being banned when two lawyers working out of the same office both decide to downoad the entirity of British Airways’ filing history at the same time :wink:

1 Like