Which API to use?

Hi, I am new to Companies House data, I would like to create an API which would link into a dashboard which would give for an administrative area over a period (quarter?) the total number of companies registered, the total number of new companies registered (by SIC Code(s) - additions; and total number of companies dissolved/removed by SIC Code. Would this data be accessed via an API?

Companies House doesn’t have that summary data immediately available as far as I know. You would need to compile the numbers yourself.

2 options appear:

1. Use the bulk data downloads. See the nice (3rd party) guide produced by @ebrian101 : Bulk Data products from Companies House | CH Guide

These are very large CSV files, updated monthly, which you’d need to process (including address parsing).

1. Register (in the same way as the Public Data API) for the Streaming API. This is a feed of different types of company information. You would then just process new information about companies being created or dissolved as it came in.

You can of course bootstrap by doing 1) to populate your stats (going back as far as you like) and then continue using (2) to keep this up to date.

The Companies House Public Data API gives you access to at least some of the data you would need for that. However it is not designed for queries like “count all the companies which…” and Companies House have said it’s for searching, not for “download all our data”. There is a rate limit so the latter isn’t realistic.

Not sure this is what you want but there is at least one commercial offering which I think provides most of the information you’re interested in. Only know of this as a person behind that posts here - @frank). See Statbooks

1 Like